Pages

Tuesday 1 August 2017

Tangle challenges

Winter continues in this part of the world. For Canberra that means freezing nights and cold, clear days. For The Husband, BoyBoy and myself it also means skiing.

It's a bit of an effort to get to the snow. We drive to a town nearby ski fields the night before, ski all day then drive home that afternoon/evening. Recovery day is the Sunday.

BoyBoy only learnt to ski last year. This year he was at the same level as the Husband and myself. It was a great day. Perfect weather, perfect snow conditions. We got away from the crowds and had a blast. I got my rhythm back early, so it was just a fantastic feeling making turns, and gliding down the slopes. All that strength and fitness work that I've been doing this year paid off big time.

Hopefully we'll get another couple of days in over the next month. Ski season is short here.

Diva #327 - Diva Dancing in Lisbon


This tangle was new to me. I do like the story behind the design. My own 'tile' story is that we have added Mexican Talavera tiles to our bathroom. The Talavera tile design and process date back to the Spanish conquest of the Americas. We already have some of these tiles in our house - kitchen splash back, and highlights in our hallway and entry floors.

Here are some of the tiles in place on the side of our bath.



Here are my two Diva tiles.



Made by Joey


This week's challenge is to use a variation of Tropicana. I used both the variation and the original.


Other drawing


This first ZIA is me trying to be restrained. 


The second is an Opus tile, still incomplete, that I started working on when I got back from drawing with Shelly Beauchamp. The hold up here is the shading. I know that shading will make it look better but it is taking sooooo long to do. May not get around to finishing it. I still like the design though.




Have a great week and thanks for dropping by.

Miss L






9 comments:

SuzanneluhrF said...

As I sit here sweltering in a muggy east coast of the United States summer, it is difficult to imagine that people are skiing Down Under.

Your last tile (the Opus) also channels colonial Spanish art for me. The cross motif is reminiscent of the ecclesiastical art with which I am familiar from Mexico and South America. Your Diva challenge tiles are nice. The Lisbon Fragment tangle(s) is deceptively more difficult than it looks---for me anyway.

michele said...

wow! There's so much lovely work here. I do love what's happening with your Opus piece and I'm with you on needing to a take some time away from the larger works. They can be a bit daunting. You've had an impressive week;-)

trudi said...

When I was just learning to ski and got up the large chairlift for the first (frightening time) the chair in front of me had a 2 year old hop off and started down the mountain. Kids can learn crazy fast, next year Boyboy will likely be skiing circles around you!

Beautiful Tangles, thank you for participating in my Tropicana Challenge on Joey's Challenge.

Maggibee said...

Such a range of lovely work. (You will notice I ignore the ski-ing references. It's a sport I love to see but could never and will never try. I know my limitations.) I adore your retrained piece and the one with a dash of blue. Oh yes, and I like your bathroom tiles too.

jeanchaneyaz said...

I'm not a fan of cold weather, but it's nice if you happen to like winter sports. Your tiles are lovely. The Lisbon Fragment tiles are uniquely done and quite creative. Your gems are very realistic. Good luck on that giant Opus tile. I'm not sure I could ever tackle one of those!

Anne's tangle blog said...

I love your tiles, especially the first Diva tile!

Tangles and More said...

Lots of great work. I like both of the Diva Challenge tiles, but am partial to the one using Prestwood and the touch of blue.

Susie Ng said...

I am glad you drew the real Tropicana tangle. I had all forgotten about it. Well done.

ria matheussen said...

Nice work Karen and a again a wonderful Opus tile! Original to combine the real tangle Tropicana with a variation