Pages

Wednesday 18 May 2016

Diva #268 - a bit of black

Diva challenge


This week's Diva challenge was to incorporate more black into a tile than we'd normally use.

I did that with my first tile, which uses Sandy Steen Batholomew's Mumsy and Skein tangles. I then did the same tangles and design but on a black tile. What do you think? I rarely ever use black tiles, so this was a big step out of my comfort zone.



Once I had my black tiles out, I thought I'd do another one. This one features two favourite tangles - Flux and Printemps.


Other drawing


I haven't been doing much drawing lately. Lots of other things going on. I did find time to do this ZIA. The basis is Fengle with favourites (Purk, Shattuck, Tipple, Flux, Puf and Dex).  I've drawn on a A5 300gsm card stock, which is my go-to paper when I don't want to use a Zentangle tile. Nice and simple.


Cake Day


Last Sunday was Cake Day. Not for you? It was for my daughter Moo and I. 

We spent the day (from 9.30am to 6.30pm) learning how to decorate a cake. This was part birthday and part Mother's Day present.

I'm not a cake decorator and have no real desire to become one. However, I do like learning new creative skills and I do enjoy cooking. Although no cooking was involved in this occasion, I think there might be some cake cooking in my future.

I've written a page on this blog about it and where I've put more photos. Here are just a couple.







Have a great week. Thanks for your comments and for simply dropping by.

Miss L






9 comments:

Lorna said...

Really nice Diva tile, and lovely undulations on your zia, feels like a gentle day on the ocean.

Suzanne Fluhr said...

I admit I'm not crazy about working in white on black tiles, but you're idea for doing "reverse" black on white and white on black tiles is a very cool idea and very nicely executed. The problem with artistic cake decoration is that then it's a shame to eat them!

The Yorkshire Tortoise said...

Your have managed to do super tiles considering you say you are not keen on them. Lovely

ria matheussen said...

Your cakes looks amazing!!!!
I am also fond of your two first tiles: black with beautiful white and white with dramatic black, original and very nice.

Anne's tangle blog said...

So different to draw on black, you did very well. The cake looks good too; at this point I did not have breakfast yet and it makes me really wanting a piece :-)

jeanchaneyaz said...

I love the tile that you did on the white. I am finding myself less drawn to the black tiles. Skipping inks and smudging chalks kind of bother me. I do love the Renaissance tiles though. Your black tiles do look lovely though.
Well, when I saw the "I'm glad you didn't die", I had to go read your post about the cakes. What a fun thing to do with your daughter. Memories like these are priceless!

Annette P.-L. said...

Wonderful diva-challenge tiles! Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Love your tiles, great job!

But...that cake? "Glad you didn't die?" Nora Roberts, "The Pagan Stone," right? Just finished her Trilogy of the Seven...scary but excellent!!
Did you decorate that cake?

Joyce

Anja said...

Beautiful tiles & amazing cakes!!!