Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Diva 254 - Valentangle

This week's Diva challenge is asks us to Tangle for Valentine's Day.

A confession - I don't like Tangling hearts, I don't go crazy over Valentine's Day and I haven't been thrilled by the love-theme Tangle challenges on the web lately.

I show my love for my husband every day of the year, not just once a year or on birthdays. Plus, this year I'm simply not in a Valentine mood.

However, I set myself a goal of completing Diva challenges every week so I have had a go at this one.

Here's the tile I'm most happy with. It features Tipple, Heartstrings, a little Hollibaugh and some swirly lines. And lots of pink.


What's your Tangling style?


As I was trying to get inspired for this challenge I had a wander through the other contributors to the challenge. One of the artists whose blog I regularly visit is Shelly Beauch. Here's a link: shellybeauch

I spent a couple of days with Shelly last year learning to Tangle, so of course I keep revisiting her blog. I really like the way Shelly links her Tangles and how she draws Mooka. 

Have a look at this little bit of one her recent tiles.


I love how Shelly draws Mooka and add combines it with swirly lines. I thought I'd give it a try and apply that technique to this week's Diva challenge.

Here's where I got to before I tossed it aside and started again.



The tile was going OK until I tried to mimic Shelly's Mooka. That got me thinking about my personal drawing style. I don't what that is yet, however, I'm interested to hear what other people have to say about their own drawing style and how it has developed.

I did complete a tile last night where I relaxed and went with what I was comfortable with. However, I did keep within the Valentangle theme, which was enough of a stretch, for one night at least.

Here's the tile. I created the tile at the top of this post this afternoon - a much better time to draw than after 9pm on a school night.



Have a great week and please leave a comment.

Miss L



8 comments:

Daniele OBrien Design, CZT said...

I love your Challenge piece, great colors and techniques. Emulating the people's work we admire really makes us grow and find our own "sweet spot". I like to try styles I admire to see if they resonate for me. Getting out of my "comfort zone" helps me grow and learn. One of the best parts of this Zentangle community is how we share and honor each other's work.

Anonymous said...

Two very pretty tiles! I think I like the one you did to relax after your school day best!

elle tangle said...

Hi "Creative miss L", I love your style, and the two pink tiles are very beautiful. Like you, I often visit the shelly beauch blog, and helen Williams' one, theirwell executed style is inimitable.

The Yorkshire Tortoise said...

I too admire Shelley Beauch and especially the way she uses Mooka. She is one of my four tangling heroes. There are a few people who have such a style of their own that I can recognise their ZIA even out of context. I wish I had such a style myself, but I don't think it is going to happen. I am not artistic, never having been able to draw anything before, and I am just pleased to be able to follow pattern step outs in order to draw abstract ZIA that please me and a few of my family. Keep practising with Mooka, I have been trying hard to copy Mooka for over six months and have only recently been able to get it to look like I want it to.

I love your heart tiles, particularly the half heart one and you have nice tone of pink in it.

Anne's tangle blog said...

Like you I don't like all this Valentine stuff and like you I still tried to draw something for the challenge.
You did well though.

jeanchaneyaz said...

What's nice about Zentangle is that you don't ever have to try to be someone else. I admire a lot of tanglers out there, but I know I can't be them. I can only be me. I have a "rougher" style. I'll never be graceful, but I accept that. Your style is lovely, as I'm certain you are. Just enjoy the Zentangle journey and appreciate whatever comes out of your pen :)

Annette P.-L. said...

Both are very lovely!

Simone Sass said...

The tiles are beautiful! this very gentle rose is gorgeous. And I agree totally to your opinion to Valentines Day!