Pages

Friday 25 September 2015

Palliative care for my cat

Update: Saturday 26 Sept.

Dobby passed away this afternoon. He declined very quickly from Thursday afternoon to this morning. He was in a lot of pain despite the pain medication he was given. 

Dobby spent yesterday hiding from us under the couch, not wanting to be touched. He spent today sitting nearby Moo and myself, wanting pats and wanting to be near us but unable to be picked up and cuddled. He enjoyed his treat of salami. 

Dobby passed peacefully in my arms at our local vet clinic. 



How do you process the imminent death of a much loved family pet? How do you cope when the news is utterly unexpected and the death very near?



This is Dobby, the elder of our two cats. Dobby is almost 8 years old. He is a moggy from the local RSPCA. We think he has a lot of Abyssinian in him given his colouring and his liking for being very firmly patted (even whacked) on his rump. The RSPCA calls his breed domestic short hair. He's been in our family since January 2008.

Dobby was named after a house elf who featured prominently in several of the Harry Potter books, and was Harry's saviour in the final book.

Dobby is dying. We found out this evening that he has advanced, terminal lymphoma that has almost destroyed both his kidneys. The disease is untreatable at any stage of diagnosis. Dobby's only sign of illness has been weight loss, which is what prompted me to take him to the vet today *.

* I say 'today' but I mean Thursday afternoon and evening. I'm writing this at 2.30am Friday morning. Sleep is not something that is going to happen to me for some hours yet.







Dobby is at home with us until we decide that his pain and discomfort are too great for him to bear. He could have a couple of days with us, maybe more. 

I don't think he has long. He has been avoiding me all night, which is out of character. He won't let me pat him for more than a few seconds. Totally, totally out of character, even after a visit to the vet. 

How am I meant to process this? 

Expect more Dobby-focused blog posts over the coming days.

Miss L



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear this sad news Karen.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
Look after yourself and remember that your friends are here for you.

LezliB said...

Karen, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your fur baby. I have 3 cats and they are much loved members of our family, and it is very hard to focus when they are in distress. I had an old lady cat that we had to help go at the age of 24 a few years ago, so I have some inkling of what you are going through. Healing hugs to you and just know that Dobby is gently resting over the Rainbow Bridge so that he can see you again when it is time.